Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Rejection

Being rejected comes with the territory of being a dancer. No matter how good you are, you will get rejected at some point in your career. I'm used to rejection; it's going to be part of my career as I move onto professional performing, and I'm fine with it. I can get used to it; I've developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to my career.

But what I haven't developed a thick skin around is my heart.

I build walls.

I build tall, strong brick walls around my heart to keep people at bay for the simple fact that I'm terrified of getting hurt again. I've gotten hurt once before and it nearly destroyed me. I told myself that I would never put myself in a vulnerable position like that again. And I've kept to it.

Whenever I seem to be getting too close to someone, I back off and keep them at a safe distance so I won't hurt them and so they won't hurt me. It's just easier that way. But it's also a problem. I've ruined many relationships and friendships that way.

It's just easier.

But then again, it's also a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment