Monday, March 7, 2011

Not Cut Out For This

You know when something feels so right- so undeniably, unbelievably right- that you feel incomplete not doing that thing?

That's how I feel about dance.

I love it. I love dance, and vocal, and acting.... I love all of it. Performing.... every little thing about it. I can't imagine myself doing anything else. But now... now I'm not so sure. I've questioned myself my entire life- from the way I act to how I speak to the way I walk... so this shouldn't be any different. Except it is.

This is my life we're talking about.

I've had these..... nagging feelings for the last couple years, but I've never had the guts to actually voice them. I... I'm starting to think that maybe... maybe I'm not cut out for this. That maybe I'm not cut out to be a dancer or a performer. Maybe I'm not meant to perform on Broadway like I've always dreamed I would.

I don't know... maybe I'm not "meant for greatness." Maybe I'm just meant to be ordinary like everyone else. Working at a dead-end job, living in a crummy apartment, surviving hand to mouth for the rest of my life until I die, what if that's what's my future holds? If it is, then I'd better hurry and change my major before it's too late.

The thing is, I grew up in the theater. I remember going to Broadway touring shows from the time I was about six or seven, and I always.... felt.... that I belonged on that stage. I idolize actors like Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel, Ethel Merman and Jerry Orbach; choreographers like Michael Bennet and Bob Fosse. If they can make it, so can I, or so I thought.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm being paranoid, but....

But what if I'm right?

What if I'm not cut out for this?

What if I need to get out now, while I still can?

What if I'm in the wrong career?

And what happens if I get out of it, and then realize that I made the wrong choice?

If I did then... I guess I deserve the heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment