Saturday, March 12, 2011

It's Just a Book. No Harm Ever Came from... Reading a Book

When I'm not dancing, I spend the majority of my time reading- either reading or writing. Especially since I now work at a second hand bookstore. Not only that, I'm also working on my first novel- well, the first novel I've been able to write in four months.

Most of the people in my writer's group have been writing longer than I and, compared to them, I'm the baby of the group- in age and in writing skills. However, I do seem to be having a better time with this new novel I'm working on. This one seems to be going better than any of the other novels I've tried writing.

This current novel I'm working on is as of now, untitled (well, I guess the temporary title is Civil War Novel) and seems to be going quite well as far as the plot. Considering that this is the first solid thing I've been able to write after four months of writer's block, I'm hoping that this will turn out well.

I don't write outlines, because outlines drive me crazy. However, I do write notes, and snippets that I think could belong in a novel. If I do write an outline, it's usually in the form of a family tree, if I have a good idea of who I want the characters to be- like in this novel.

I'm usually doing one of two major things- dancing or writing. I love both, and it irks me when people tell me how "nice" it is that I'm getting a musical theater degree, or that it's awful "nice" that I'm writing a novel. They treat it like its some sort of rare disease that they'll catch if they get too close.

Well, not to steal from The Mummy or anything but,

It's just a book. No harm ever came from reading a book.

Get over it people.

No comments:

Post a Comment