Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Dance of Languages and Accents

Someone told me once that I was gifted with languages. I think what they meant was that I was gifted with accents.

Normally, if someone has an accent, I can pick it up after hearing only a few words. Which is strange, considering that I've never had much interest in accents or languages for that matter, at least not until I got into high school.

One of the things that sparked my interest with accents and different languages, deas with Europe. I'm half European, half Mexican, and I've always found certain countries to have fascinating history- look at Russia and it's history of Tsars. But I love English history the most. It could be because my grandmother's ancestry dates back to the puritans and pilgrims coming over from Europe. It could also be because I've grown up reading books and watching movies on English history. I have an unhealthy addiction to The History Channel and National Geographic documentaries.

Another spark that lit the flame of my interest are British actors. But only certain ones- Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Rachel Weisz, to name a few. I'm highly entertained and amused by Britsh comedies, and I'm a fan of certain films- like The Wings of the Dove or Pride and Prejudice.

I know, I know, why the hell should I care? What's language to do with dance?

Well, actually, it has a lot to do with dance. While most countries are limited by their ability to communicate with each other through vocals and understand the other, the possibilites are unlimited when it comes to dance. The way you move, how you perform, can speak volumes to someone who doesn't understand the language.

As far as I'm concerned, languages and accents are a dance. The way you speak, how you pronounce certain words, how thick your accent is, can be as lyrical as dancing Pointe to the theme from Swan Lake. To sum it up-

Dance and language are one in the same.

They can be both beautiful, and heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment