Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wild Child

Wild Child: NOUN: reckless person: a reckless, impulsive, and undisciplined person, usually a young adult ( informal )

I'm a late bloomer. I've always been a late bloomer.

I didn't have a boyfriend until I was fourteen, I had my heart broken at sixteen, I got kissed at seventeen (I broke up with him that same year), I'm still a virgin, I don't smoke, the only drugs I do are prescribed to me, and I don't drink that much- only when I deem alcohol necessary. I don't drive, and I'm a coffee addict; I'm street smart, naive, and too ignorant for my own damn good.

I've never been wild; I never went out on school nights and partied until dawn, I never snuck out of the house and went joy riding with friends, I've never stolen anything. I grew up surrounded by kids that vandalized and stole, snuck out and partied. I was never like that.

Instead, I put all my energy into the performing arts: dance, acting, singing, and even writing. I'm friends with an ex-classmate that does my headshots for the small fee of a cup of coffee and lunch out. I went out Wednesday night with a guy from my Literature class and walked along the river with him, and when we finally got to the park, I kissed him in between star gazing and laying on his chest in the wet grass.

I'm the normal girl in every way but one. I've never been reckless. Getting drunk last night on white zinfandel wine was the most reckless I've ever been. But lately, I've considered sneaking out of the house and getting drunk with a few friends at a dance club, and since Wednesday night, every time I look at a guy, I want to do a strip tease and French him.

Maybe it's just my hormones going haywire, or maybe I'm finally coming into my own, I don't know, but it scares me half to death. I've never been like this, nor have I ever wanted to. I'm not a wild child...

At least, I don't think I am.

But maybe I need to start being one.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just a sign that you need to loosen up and do a few crazy things. Not necessarily ALL the crazy things. Sow a few wild oats, not the whole bucket. If you grew up not doing all the wild things your friends and classmates were doing, you have a lot of stuff bottled up inside that need to be let out now and then. But you're pretty well-grounded, not to mention the fact that you DO put all of your energy into a positive outlet, so you don't have to make bad decisions or go completely crazy to let out a little wildness. Get drunk, as long as you have someone safe around you to make sure you don't hurt yourself; wear a crazy witch hat to Starbucks (wait, haven't we done that?); do something completely out of character and laugh your head off about it.

    This said from someone who was also a good girl. I've never been drunk a day in my life (doesn't mean I don't judge those who do drink); also never done drugs or smoked or slept around. And yes, I realized after holding it all in and trying to be normal all these years, some wildness has to come out. I had to find a balance that wouldn't compromise my responsibility to my family or my respectability, but still be fun as heck. I'm still a wallflower who doesn't like a lot of attention, yet I resort to unusual measures to get attention. (Pirate tights? Corsets? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant it doesn't mean I do judge those who drink! Hahaha! No, I don't judge! Sheesh, I wish you could edit your comments! I'm a dork.

    ReplyDelete